Historic Sullivan Island, South Carolina
The lighthouse on Sullivan Island replaced the Morris Island Lighthouse across the Charleston harbour. This light house is the only one equipped with an elevator and is air-conditioned. When it was first lit in 1962, the lamps provided 28,000,000 candle power. In 1898 a lifesaving station had been built on the island just behind the location of the present light house and the old building remains for use by the National Park Service. Fort Moultrie is situated down the street from the lighthouse, which was built in 1809 for coastal defense.