Historic Georgetown, South Carolina
The Georgetown Lighthouse is located at the mouth of Winyah Bay. It leads into historic Georgetown, an old village dating back to about 1800. The first lighthouse was built ca 1801 out of wood but was washed away by a storm two years later. The present lighthouse was built after the War Between the States. The only means of reaching the lighthouse is by boat and is at the tip of North Island. Today, the island is private and walking is not permitted above the high-tide mark. Below are scenes of the historical Georgetown.