Names of Families Pendleton County Deeds
Cherokee Indians lived in this region long before the American Revolution. During the war for independence, the Cherokee's sided with Great Britain. It was this decision that led to the loss of their land then located in the northwestern corner of South Carolina. But two months of a fight during the summer of 1776 between the local patriot militia and the Cherokees, defeated the Indians. In 1789 this land had become Pendleton County, later re-named Pendleton District. Today we know it as Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens counties.
Images of Estates 1793 to 1799 (filed in Anderson County)Alexander, David; Anderson, Moses; Bennison, George; Brickell, James and Susannah; Brown, William; Clements, Jesse; Cobb, Henry; Cobb, John; Compton, James; Corban, Peter; Cox, Beverly; Dalrumple, Samuel; Deale, Clement; Deale, Stewart; Farrar, Seth; Finley, John; Finleyson, Samuel; Franklin, Isham; Gant, Giles; Garner, James; Gibson, G.; Gibson, Randle; Greer, James; Hall, Nathaniel; Hallum, Thomas; James, Griffith; Johnston, John; Kimpton, James; Lefley, William; Linley or Finley, John; Linsley or Finley, John; Lowry, Daniel; Mauldin, Harris; McCambridge, John; McVey, William; Newman, Johnston; Norris, John; Perkins, Isaac; Pickens, John; Pickens, Robert; Pollock, John; Ralston, Robert; Reese, Thomas; Reece, Thomas Sidney; Roe, Solomon; Simms, James; Sims, James; Sinkler, Charles; Sloan, William; Smith, Benjamin; Steele, Lesley Isaac; Stevenson, John; Stone, William; Thomas, Evan; Thompson, Matthew; Tillet, William Asa Town; Tomson, James; Twitty, John; Watson, James; West, Jonathan; Whilton, Lewis; Whitmire, Michael; Wood, Jesse;
Find the Occupation of your Ancestor
South Carolina Marriage Settlements
The Old Stone Church in PendletonThe Old Stone Church in Pendleton was originally called the Stone Meeting House. It was constructed during the year 1802 to replace a log Presbyterian church that perished in flames. This first church was probably built about 1789. The oldest burial in the cemetery occurred in 1795 and was of Charles Miller. The Fort Hill Plantation and Oconee Station are nearby.
The Fort Hill Mansion in PendletonJames McElhenny, pastor of Hopewell Presbyterian Church, built a four-room home in Pendleton ca 1803 and called it "Clergy Hall." Later, it was owned by Mr. John C. Calhoun who enlarged it to contain fourteen rooms and renamed it " Fort Hill." After the death of Calhoun in 1850, the property was passed to his wife to be shared with three of her children: Cornelia, John, and Anna Maria, wife of Thomas Green Clemson. Anna sold her share to Floride Calhoun. Floride Calhoun sold the plantation to her son, Andrew Pickens Calhoun who held the mortgage. There was a legal proceeding against Andrew Pickens Calhoun who died in 1865 and Anna filed for foreclosure against the heirs of Andrew prior to her death in 1866. After lengthy legal proceedings, the plantation was auctioned at Walhalla in 1872. The executor of the estate of Anna Calhoun won at auction, which was divided among her surviving heirs. Her daughter, Anna Clemson, received the residence with about 814 acres and remained in the house until about 1875 when she died. Thomas Green Clemson inherited " Fort Hill" and his last will and testament (1888) bequeathed more than 814 acres of the estate to the State of South Carolina for an agricultural college with the proviso that the dwelling house " shall never be torn down or altered, but shall be kept in repair with all articles of furniture and vesture; and shall always be open for inspection of visitors." Clemson University operates the Fort Hill house as a house museum.