During Colonial days, there was an old fort constructed by the British as well as a grist mill situated on Steele Creek, north of Rock Hill. Nearby was a village of Catawba Indians which was there for many years thereafter. Ultimately, during the mid 18th and 19th centuries, as Scotch-Irish settlers began arriving in the region, a town of textile mills sprouted. The textile mills survived until the late 20th century. The town of Fort Mill was established in 1873, taking its name from the old colonial-era fort built by the British.
This collection was found in downtown St. Augustine, Florida in January of 2017.
Lancaster County Wills and Estates
Lancaster County was formed in 1785. It was originally part of the Camden District and was named after Lancaster County in Pennsylvania. In 1791 part of it was removed to form Kershaw County.
cotch-Irish settlers from Pennsylvania began settling in the area during the mid-1700s. It was called the Waxhaw settlement and was the birthplace of President Andrew Jackson (1767-1845). During the Revolutionary War, British Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton from this neck of the woods earned the nickname Bloody Tarleton when he massacred American troops in this vicinity on the 29th day of May 1780.