Hampton PlantationThe Hampton Plantation is situated beside the lower Santee River, south of Georgetown, South Carolina. The actual construction of the house was probably begun about 1735 for Noah Serre, an early pioneer to the area. In those days, the center portion of the house was built first, with wings added later on. In this instance it was Daniel Huger Horry, the son-in-law of Serre, who enlarged the six-room structure. He has a two-story ballroom on one end and large bedrooms and sitting rooms on the other end. After a visit of George Washington, the six-column portico and impediment was added. Open to the public, it is located 8 miles north of McClellanville, off routes 17 and 857.
Georgetown, Thriving Port CityBy 1729 the area around the City of Georgetown was already home to a busy seaport. One reason is that lucrative rice crops indigo were important exports. Indigo, particularly during the 18th century because of the blue dye which it produced. Pirates hid in nearby bays and barrier islands waiting for merchant ships weighed down with cargo to enter the sea. The local stories spin the tales of Anne Bonney, Mary Read and Calico Jack Rackham lurking around the coast.
A field of indigo.
The Liberty FlagDelegates for the Continental Congress were elected in 1774 when South Carolina declared its independence from Great Britain. The British attacked Charleston three times, presuming that it had a large base of Loyalists who would rally to the cause. After the Battle of Sullivan's Island where the unfamiliar British ships got themselves stuck on sandbars in the region, the Liberty Flag which had been used by the army of General Moultrie, encouraged a South Carolina flag. Thus, in 1775 Colonel William Moultrie was asked by the Revolutionary Council of Safety to design a flag for the South Carolina troops. However, throughout the South, lists were being distributed of traiters. After the British left Charleston and other ports, the new government quickly seized the assets and properties of Loyalists who were busy escaping south to Barbardos and north into Canada.
Georgetown County Probate RecordsGeorgetown County was named for King George II of England. It was settled during the 18th century by English planters bringing their African slaves to establish large rice and indigo plantations.The local town of Georgetown, established about 1730, prospered as a busy port for the plantations.
Georgetown District was first named in 1769 and included the parishes of Prince George, All Saints, and Prince Frederick. In 1785 the district was divided into four counties: Liberty, Kingston,Williamsburg and Winyah.
During the Revolutionary War the troops of General Francis Marion were known to hide in the swamps while waging guerrilla warfare against the British.
Early settlers: Thomas Lynch, Jr. (1749-1779), signer of the Declaration of Independence; Theodosia Burr Alston (1783-1813), the daughter of Aaron Burr; Joel Roberts Poinsett (1779-1851), Congressman, secretary of war, ambassador to Mexico and Joseph Hayne Rainey (1832-1887), the first African-American elected to the U. S. House of Representatives.
Follow South Carolina Pioneers Collections
Buzz from the blog....